Pages

Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Pre-Thanksgiving for One

I don't know what I will be having for dinner tomorrow.  So I figured, I'd make something that at least looked Thanksgiving-y today (i.e. Thanksgiving colors).  For lunch today I made myself something special, and I did not let myself down.    

On my menu:  Maple Glazed Tempeh, Sauteed Kale, Smashed Squash


Tempeh
1/2 block tempeh (114g)
1 tbsp soy sauce
1 tbsp water
2 tbsp lite maple syrup
olive oil cooking spray
15 raspberries (approzimately!)

1.  Steam tempeh until tender
2.  Spray pan with cooking spray, cook tempeh until slightly browned on one side.  
3.  Add soy sauce and water to pan, turning tempeh occasionally, until browned on all sides.  
4.  Lower heat, add maple syrup  
5.  Gently toss with raspberries

Nutrition Information:  280.0 Calories;  12.3g Total Fat;  2.5g Saturated Fat;  0.0mg Cholesterol;  690.3mg Sodium;  24.7g Carbohydrates;  0.5g Fiber;  22.1g Protein

Sauteed Kale (this actually makes two servings)
1 big bunch of kale 
1/2 medium onion, sliced
1 clove garlic, minced
crushed red pepper
salt & pepper
1 tbsp red wine vinegar
olive oil cooking spray

1.  Boil kale in a pot of salted water until tender
2.  In a separate pan, coat with cooking spray and cook onion until brown.  Add garlic and pepper.  
3.  Strain water from kale and add to garlic and onion, cooking until warmed through.  
4.  Remove from heat and toss with vinegar.  

Nutrition Information:  80.3 Calories;  1.2g Total Fat;  0.2g Saturated Fat;  0.0mg Cholesterol;  60.5mg Sodium;  16.4g Carbohydrates;  5.5g Fiber;  5.2g Protein

Smashed Squash
1 cup of 1 inch pieces of squash (I used a cushaw)
2 tsp agave nectar
salt & pepper to taste

1.  Steam Squash (I steamed it along with the tempeh).
2.  Remove skin from cooked squash
3.  Smash with a fork.  Add agave nectar, salt & pepper, and smash until well combined.  

Nutrition Information:  79.0 Calories;  0.2g Total Fat;  0.1g Saturated Fat;  0.0mg Cholesterol;  563.5mg Sodium;  20.0g Carbohydrates;  2.7g Fiber;  1.8g Protein

And, that's it!  This was so satisfying, I was quite pleased.  

Family dinner was also on my shoulders tonight.  I was also in charge of dinner tonight.  I had extra people to cook for (6 instead of 4).  We had, soba noodles with tofu and veggies.    

Sesame Soba Noodles, Golden Tofu, and Asian Veggies

Is Asian veggies and overstatement?  Maybe.  There was baby bok choy though!  

Loosely, it went something like this...

28oz Extra Firm Tofu
6 bundles Soba Noodles (2 packaged, for me)
1 bunch of scallions, chopped
4tbsp sesame oil
1.5 tbsp rice vinegar
1.5 tsp Bragg's Aminos (or soy sauce)
2 red peppers, sliced thin
4 carrots, cut into matchsticks
2 baby bok choy, white part sliced thin, green leafy parts roughly chopped
1/4 cup vegetable broth

1.  Start to boil a large pot of water.
2. Pat tofu dry.  Cut into 1/2 inch cubes.  Heat largest pan over medium high heat, and put tod in pan.  Let golden crust form, then flip.  Allow crust to form on opposite side, then cook until heated through.  Put tofu in covered dish 
3.  Heat 2 tbsp sesame oil in the same large pan.  Add all vegetables besides bok choy tops, and coat vegetables with oil.  
4.  Add broth to the pan, cover, and cook for about 5 minutes, or until tender.  
5.  Cook soba noodles 3-5 minutes.  
6.  Toss soba noodles with the remaining 2 tbsp sesame oil, rice vinegar, and Bragg's
7.  Garnish with baby bok choy leaves.  My mom liked it with the tofu, I liked it with the noodles.     

Serves 6.

Nutrition Information:  335.5 Calories;  16.0g Total Fat;  2.2g Saturated Fat;  0.0mg Cholesterol;  247.8mg Sodium;  30.0g Cholesterol;  3.6g Fiber;  19.9g Protein

I know I promised cheesecake, but my sister in law isn't here yet, and we won't be able to eat it tonight anyway....so I will post about it tomorrow!    

Today's Cooking Song:  Street Lights - Kanye West (new CD came out yesterday!) 


Lastly, as a type this, I watch Top Chef.  I have to mention, because I am thrilled, that the Bassist from the Foo Fighter's favorite dish out of both teams was the vegan cornbread stuffing.  How awesome!  

No comments:

Post a Comment