Pages

Sunday, November 9, 2008

Chickpea Potato Curry

To be honest, I did not want to cook today.  I found myself seconds away from having leftover pumpkin rice pudding for dinner, but I KNEW I was really hungry, and I had a couple of crappy days because I wasn't home, so I really wanted some veggies.  All veggies.  Yum veggies.  Considering I eat a vegan diet and everyone assumes that means you only eat vegetables, I really don't eat enough.  

I was planning on making wheat berries, but they take 2 HOURS??  Sheesh.  I was too hungry for that, although I will try them soon because I was so excited to find them last week.  Instead I opted to make a curry...of sorts.  I'm not really sure exactly what qualifies something as a "curry", but I used curry powder, so to me = curry.  


1/2 onion, sliced
1/2 red pepper, sliced
1/4 tbsp lite soy sauce
3/4 tbsp water
1/2 cup chickpeas
pinch cayenne pepper
1/4 tsp tumeric
1/2 tsp curry powder
1 small yukon potato, cooked and diced
1 tbsp coconut milk powder*
2 tbsp water
2 tsp agave nectar

First, I cooked the onion and pepper in the soy sauce and water.  Then added the chickpeas, spices, adding little extra water if the pan is very dry.  Mix together coconut milk powder and the 2 tbsp water, then add the mixture with the potato, and mix until combined.  Finish with squeezing on 2 tsp of agave nectar.    
*I assume regular coconut milk would work also, but I saw this at the store last week and wanted to try it. 

Nutrition Information:  372 Calories;  6g Fat; 4g Saturated Fat;  0.0mg Cholesterol;  522mg Sodium;  72g Carbohydrates;  11g Fiber;  11g Protein.  

This was better than I expected to be.  Instead of putting it on top of some sort of grain, I had it with asparagus and broccoli.  Just the sort of thing I needed to end my weekend/start my week.  

Today's CSotD:  I Feel So - Boxcar Racer
 

No comments:

Post a Comment