So I set out to create my own. Should be easy enough, right? Well it is!
2 green tea bags
1/2 cup water
3/4-1 cup sparkling water
stevia to taste (liquid or powder, your preference)
1. Heat the water until it just begins to bubble, not boil Green tea shouldn't be steeped in water that is too hot or it cooks the leaves. If it does start to boil, just let it cool a little before you add the tea bags.
2. Let both of the tea bags steep for a few minutes. The taste will be rather strong, and the color will be fairly dark because it is pretty concentrated. *Its important that you do this first for two reasons. First, it will dissolve easier while the tea is warm. Second, if you add the stevia after the sparkling water is added, it loses some of its fizz.*
3. Allow the tea to cool in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes.
4. When chilled remove from fridge and add sparkling water (which should also be chilled, just in case that isn't obvious).
6. Drink! Enjoy! Be refreshed!
Serves 1-4. Depends on how much tea you want (and you can have as much as you want because it has no calories!) I used some tea I got as a favor at the wedding we went to a few weeks ago, from our friends who we met when we were in Hawaii.
You can obviously do this with any kind of tea: green, black, white, etc. Also, if you don't like stevia you can use sugar or agave and it'll still be lower in calories than the Lipton stuff. If you are nervous about trying stevia, I say now is the time to try it! I've been using it for quite awhile, in liquid and powder form, and I personally prefer the powder (although they both have their uses). For stevia, I like the NuNaturals brand.
This has maltodextrin added which I think is what makes it so NOT bitter, and it also mixes really well. They make a zero-carb version also, which has some erythritol added. I've used erythritol before, and I never really gave a review about it. I don't like it. It is a sugar alcohol and it just has a grainy taste and doesn't dissolve well. They both are calorie free, so I'm sticking with this one.
My only real personal update is that I really have no update. Nothing worth sharing has been coming out of my kitchen, whether prepared by me or from a recipe. Sadly most things have flopped, or they were just boring everyday things. My mom has requested that I write down a recipe for one of my rice recipes that she loves, so that is coming, as well as some scones I plan on making tonight. Oh, and tomorrow is going to be a raw day, so come back for that!
As far as running is going, its going. I'm much slower than I used to be which is extremely frustrating, but I'm still getting up and going which is what is most important right now. I'm going out again with my new running buddy tomorrow (who is a vegetarian!) for a long run (which right now is only 5 miles, haha). I also had lunch with another vegan yesterday (vegan friends, yay!), so I'm not just sitting at home with Zoe.
So, that is why its been awhile, but I have much planned, so be sure to come back this week!