Pages

Saturday, December 13, 2008

Hummus, Brussles, and Karma

Okay, so I missed yesterday, and I know its late, and will probably technically be tomorrow by the time I post this, but I wanted to get today in before my blogging is all backed up.  

I made some hummus yesterday, which was totally delicious.  I know hummus is nothing new, but if you're looking for a (spicy) recipe, this was awesome!  

Spicy Sesame Ginger Hummus


1/2 cup chickpeas
1 tsp hot chile sesame oil
1/2 tsp fresh ginger, minced 
1 tsp garlic, pressed
1 tsp lemon juice
2 tbsp vegetable broth (or water)
season to taste

1.  Put it all in a blender, and let it do its thing.  
2.  I topped it with a little sprinkle of cayenne pepper and agave nectar.  

The nutrition info is for all the hummus.  I really wanted hummus.  This could easily be two or three servings.  

Nutrition Information:  166 Calories;  7g Total Fat;  0.0g Saturated Fat;  0.0mg Cholesterol;  22g Carbohydrates;  5g Fiber;  6g Protein

For dinner yesterday I had brussels sprouts for the first time.  They were so good, they kind of remind me of asparagus....I don't know if that is weird or not?  They didn't really taste the same, just something seemed similar.  Anyway, I just tossed them in some olive oil and roasted them at 400 for about 20 minutes.  I had them with tofu, that I just pan fried.  If you've never had it like this, its worth trying.  Press tofu, then give it a sprinkle of salt and pepper.  Put it in a nonstick or a pan lightly coated with cooking spray, and just let it sit there until it gets all golden brown.  It takes some patience, but there is just enough fat in the tofu where it gives itself a nice golden shell without actually frying it in oil.  Yum!  I also made a mustard dressing for the brussles: mustard, lemon juice, cider vinegar, soymilk, and some sugar, salt, pepper.  Oh, I threw in some nutritional yeast to be healthy, but it tasted the same.  

Sprouts and Fu  

Serves 1 (whole meal)
Nutrition Information:  274 Calories;  15g Total Fat;  2g Saturated Fat;  0.0mg Cholesterol;  20g Carbohydrates;  9g Fiber;  17g Protein


Today was an out of the house culinary experience.  I had the second of three certification exams that I need to take.  Have I mentioned I'm getting a Masters in Secondary Ed?  Not sure.  Anyway, I had one of the tests today and it was stupid easy.  Best of all, the essay was on nutrition, haha, I was pleased when I saw that.  I have to drive about 45 minutes, to SUNY New Paltz to take the test.  There is a little vegan cafe there called Karma Road, that is just fantastic.  If you ever find yourself in or around New Paltz, I highly suggest it.  The people who work there are super nice, they make everything fresh, but they also have a deli counter of tofu burgers, a grain of the day, a bean of the day, roasted tempeh that looked awesome, all kind of tofu, bean, tempeh salads.  They also have a soup of the day, and today was Millet Mayhem, which I would have gotten if I were staying (they give a sample when you come in, it was really good, although hot and fogged up my glasses).  

I had the falafel wrap, which, if you look at their menu , it is baked falafel.  It was really good, my only complaint it that the tahini vegan sour cream sauce dripped on my new coat a little. 

  Karma Road Falafel Wrap

I don't know the nutrition information, although I could ballpark it, but I wasn't concerned because I hadn't had a lot to eat today, and it was pretty obvious that everything that went into it was good.  

I also treated myself to some "Oh My God" Chocolate Cake, which was their name, not mine, but it lived up to it!  It was also gluten free, made primarily with spelt flour, and it was so great.  It was really rich, but not too rich, and it had chocolate chips spattered throughout it, so you didn't get one in every bite, but there were enough that it kind of made them special.  The best part, I think, was that it just kept getting better the more of it that you ate!!  

The picture doesn't not do it justice:  "Oh My God" Chocolate Cake

Oh, and please excuse that these pictures were taken in my car...at least I wasn't driving, right??  

Okay, it is officially tomorrow, boo, but at least I got it done!  


3 comments:

  1. I will be trying that hummus recipe soon!!! I just ran out of my last batch and I love spicy foods =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow - I've never thought to use ginger in hummus. Good idea! We love the brussels sprouts down here. My husband thinks they are the world's most underrated vegetable. Glad you enjoyed them. Happy Sunday Gina!

    ReplyDelete
  3. gina, i am a brussel sprout lover, too. my family can't even stand the smell of them though. i've tried to force one in my mom's mouth, but she spit it out haha

    the hummus looks fantastic! if i don't feel like making it, i buy sabra hummus. it's probably a lot less healthy than homemade, but sometimes, i just don't give a crap. hehe.

    ReplyDelete