1/2 tbsp olive oil
1 1/4 cup yellow split peas
1 carrot, chopped
1 celery stalk, chopped
1/2 onion, chopped
1 tsp ginger
1 clove garlic
1/2 tsp garam masala
1/4 tsp cumin
1/4 tsp coriander
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp sea salt
*salt & pepper to taste
1/2 red pepper, chopped
1 apple, chopped
2 tbsp pomegranate seeds
1. Cook the onions, carrots, garlic, ginger, and celery in oil, in a large soup pot, until slightly soft, then add spices, saute for another minute.
2. Add 6 cups of water, bring to boil, then lower heat and let simmer for 20-30 minutes.
3. While soup is boiling, in a separate pan, cook the red pepper and half the apple until slightly soft, but still crunchy.
4. About 5 minutes before cooking is finished, add the sauteed apple and pepper.
5. Serve, garnished with the remaining apple and pomegranate seeds.
Makes 2 Full Servings, or 4 Small Servings
Nutrition Information (for 2 servings): 229.0 Calories; 1.0g Total Fat; 0.2g Saturated Fat; 0.0mg Cholesterol; 333.8mg Sodium; 46.8g Carbohydrates; 15.2g Fiber; 11.6g Protein.
Today's CSotD: O Valencia - The Decemberists