Pages

Friday, October 31, 2008

Seitan, Apples, and Squash...twice

I love seitan.  I've only tried it a few times, but I love it.  Mainly for it's huge protein content.  It makes creating high-protein meals a no-brainer.  

Friday was my second attempt at making it myself.  I tried boiling it once, and results were not good.  I made the Seitan O' Greatness that's been floating around the internet for awhile.  I think it came out pretty well, although I think it needs a personal seasoning adjustment.  It was a place to start though!


I took the above log, put half of it in the freezer, and then set to using up some of the rest of it.  I thought it might go well with some acorn squash I had.  The first recipe I made up before going to a Halloween party on Friday night.  

Seitan and Apple Stuffed Squash

1/2 roasted acorn squash
1/2 apple
1/8 log of Seitan O' Greatness
1/4 cup chopped spinach
1/2 tsp brown mustard
1 tsp vegan mayo
1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
1 tsp brown sugar
salt & pepper to taste
cinnamon  

1.  Preheat oven to 350.
2. Chop up the apples and seitan.  
3.  Whisk mustard, mayo, vinegar, and brown sugar, add salt and pepper to taste.  
4.  Stuff acorn squash, sprinkle with cinnamon and bake for around 10 minutes.  

As you can see in the picture, this made more than could fit in my 4" acorn squash, so I put it in another little bowl.  The seitan is a tad spicy for my taste.  Not bad, just wasn't what I was looking for.

Nutrition Facts:  313.9 Calories;  4.3g Fat;  0.6g Saturated Fat;  0.0mg Cholesterol;  751.4mg Sodium;  53.0g Carbohydrates;  10.7g Fiber;  24.9g Protein.  

The second recipe I made last night.  It isn't as pretty, but it was quite tasty. 

Roasted Acorn Squash with Seitan and Apples


1/2 roasted acorn squash
1/2 apple
1/8 log Seitan O' Greatness
1/4 cup pepitas
cinnamon

1.  Preheat oven to 350.  
2.  Line baking sheet with foil and spray with cooking spray.  Slice apples and seitan , then place on sheet, spray with cooking spray, and sprinkle with cinnamon.  Bake approximately 10 minutes, or until it starts to smell good.  
3.  Plate, sprinkle with pumpkin seeds.  Eat.  

I'm not kidding myself, I realize that these are pretty similar dishes, I just liked the combo of the seitan and apples and squash.   
Nutrition Facts:  461.7 Calories;  19.9g Fat;  3.6g Saturated Fat;  0.0mg Cholesterol;  436g Sodium;  50.7g Carbohydrates;  10.4g Fiber;  31.2g Protein.

Today's Cooking Song of the Day:  I Believe in Symmetry - Bright Eyes.

No comments:

Post a Comment