Pages

Thursday, October 30, 2008

Bulgar Wheat and Soy is your friend

In all honesty, breakfast for me is pretty boring.  It's usually my workout fuel, and I like to keep it simple.  Today isn't a gym day, so I decided to use up some tofu in my fridge to make a scramble (which I actually usually have for lunch or dinner).  

Anyway, regardless of what I am having for breakfast, this is one of my staples: 

I seriously love this stuff, it is delicious.  Cooks in 15 minutes, 115 calories per serving, and 10g of protein.  How could you go wrong?  Well that was what I thought when I bought it, and it has been a major part of my diet for over a year now.  

My tofu scramble, I don't think is anything special, but I do like it.  It's one of the few things I can say I "made up" myself.  

Tofu Scramble for one

4 oz Extra-Firm Tofu
1/2 medium onion
1 tsp water
1 tsp low sodium soy sauce
tumeric, salt, pepper
2 green onions

1.  Spray nonstick skillet with cooking spray.  Add onions, water, and soy sauce.  Cook until tender
2.  Squeeze water out of tofu and crumble into pan.  Sprinkle with tumeric and mash, adding tumeric, salt, and pepper, until reaching desired taste and coloring. 
3.  Chop green onions and mix into scramble.  



This was a deviation from my usual (I'm getting wild here).  I usually put in peppers with the onion, but I didn't have any.  The green onions were for color more than anything, plus they were going to be thrown out if I didn't use them.  

To top this off today I had some broccoli, one serving of Bulgar Wheat and Soy, and a little salsa.  

Nutrition Information (just scramble):  150.7 Calories;  5.7g Fat;  0.7g Saturated Fat;  0mg Cholesterol;  292.2mg Sodium;  10.5g Carbohydrates;  3.1g Fiber;  13g Protein

Nutrition Information (full  meal):  340 Calories;  7.7g Fat;  0.9g Saturated Fat;  0mg Cholesterol;  507.6mg Sodium;  47.9g Carbohydrates;  12.8g Fiber;  27.9g Protein.

Today's Cooking Song of the Day:  XFire - The Bens
 
 

1 comment:

  1. I love bulgar wheat. I need to find more ways to incorporate it into meals... my favorite way so far was when i made baked yam falafels with it... mmm... bulgar.

    ReplyDelete