Pages

Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Animals, Avocado, and Angelica's

I spent this past weekend at my parents' house. Yes, again. I know, I can't get away from it. I guess it is mostly because Nick isn't home, but he should be back sometime next week. Anyway, my brother and his wife were visiting and even though the rain ruined our hiking plans, we still went out and did something I had been wanting to do for awhile.

Sunday we visited Woodstock Farm Animal Sanctuary. Long story short, it was amazing. The tour was great, the animals were happy, and surprisingly...

the skies were blue! We met all the animals on the farm (except the cows, they were on the other side of the field being anti-social).










All of the animals were amazing, really. I don't understand how someone could go to a place like this, look in an animal's eyes, and not see their food differently. I was the most surprised by the turkeys! Those strange looking heads of theirs are actually incredibly soft, and they love to be pet. They're so sweet. Everyone we met was really great, from the goats and pigs to the ducks and chickens.

After the sanctuary we went back to town and I had had lunch at the Garden Cafe, a vegan restaurant. I had an excellent Mexican corn souffle.

The next day I went into the city with my mom and brother. We went to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Annex, but had to grab something quick to eat first. This was nothing special but these avocado spring rolls totally hit the spot.



The fruit is a mango nectarine, which I thought sounded so cool! It ended up just tasting like a really juicy and delicious nectarine, but I'm not complaining. The Rock and Roll Annex was fantastic. The regular museum was really very cool, but the special John Lennon exhibit made it even better. I've never been to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in Ohio, but the way it works here is really cool. You get your own headphones that are attached to this transmitter, and the music changes depending on where you're standing. Really cool.

We also went to Strands, the home of 18 miles of books. It was cool, they had a lot of old books, but I was tired and hungry, so I visited the travel book section and found a place to eat. Now, whenever I go to the city, I have big plans for places to eat, and it almost never works out. This time, when I had no plans, we ended up being just a few blocks from Angelica's Kitchen. The atmosphere was great, casual but intimate enough. It actually reminded me of a place we had breakfast when we were in Kauai, just in the way like you truly felt as though you were in someone's kitchen. I guess that's why it's called Angelica's Kitchen, huh?


My mom and brother both made their own combo bowls. My brother featured tempeh, which I thought was some of the best I've had. My mom's had soba noodles with a yummy sesame soba sauce. I had the three-bean chili, mainly because it came with cornbread, which I had been craving for awhile!



I also had this coconut carob orange cookie, which was good, although I think there was almost too much coconut in it. My brother had a peach cinnamon muffin, which tasted amazing, plus there were huge slices of peaches in it. It was a tad on the dry side though. When I go back there (and I will go back there), I will get dessert again, but I would definitely be going there for the food first. FYI, if you go, they are cash only.

I know I promised that my next post would be a giveaway, but I didn't want to put this one off, since it actually happened this weekend. Tomorrow is giveaway day, and I'm really excited about it!

15 comments:

  1. Love all those animal pictures! : ) (but too bad the cows were being anti-social!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great pictures of the animals! I've seen so many animals on blogs lately.

    Your spring wraps look excellent.

    I have a question for you, how did you get the picture on your title to be that size? Whenever I upload a piture it's HUGE, or it's too small, it never fits perfectly like yours :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is it weird that all I can think about is the avocado in this post?! haha

    ReplyDelete
  4. AWESOME!!! I'm so jealous that you got to go to the Woodstock Farm Animal Sanctuary!!!! I would LOVE to go there!! And all you vegan restaurant eats look superb (especially the summer rolls)!!
    -A

    ReplyDelete
  5. Seeing those pictures of the beautiful animals makes me want to visit the farm sanctuary so much more.

    http://whatyourmommadidntknow.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow that is such a peaceful looking farm! Awesome pictures :)
    mm that cookie sounds really good!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Look at those big ole' cute fat pigs!!! When I see pictures like that, it makes me think people who eat animals are crazy (and that would include my boyfriend and parents). I'd love to haul all the carnivores in my life to that sanctuary so they could really see how amazing animals are!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Piggies! They're so lovey and so smart. Looks like you had a great visit!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awesome! I'm SO jealous!!! There's nothing that wonderful anywhere near where I live :( I'm sad you didn't meet the cows though.....I love them all but cows are secretly one of my favourites :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. YAY! Happy animals and good grub that's cruelty free!

    Go GINA!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, what cuties! Love all of the farm pictures, you captured the animals so well.

    And of course, that food has me drooling... Avocado spring rolls would sure hit the spot right about now.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That sounded like so much fun. You put it so well: "I don't understand how someone could go to a place like this, look in an animal's eyes, and not see their food differently."

    Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  13. "too much coconut!!!!????" Who ARE you? haha

    ReplyDelete
  14. the pictures of animals were so cute...
    amazing...
    and the way you told about your food adventure at Angelica's Kitchen, mmmmmmmmm... I would love to try and have some of their best desserts and bread... Yummy!!!

    ReplyDelete